Research Design Skills for University
Learn how to conduct research & skilfully write your dissertation for a high-level degree. This 10-week Course is coming soon!
"Thanks to Niamh, I was able to really improve my Academic English skills by writing assessments, reports and presentations that she reviewed with consistency. Her feedback was extremely valuable!
- Deorah Del Negra, Italy, University of Leeds.
Writing a dissertation (thesis) is not easy and they can range from 10,000 to 25,000 words! Unfortunately, universities don’t really teach you how to conduct or write your research project. Students can then lose a lot of marks and get a low-level degree (or fail) due to a lack of knowledge and lack of academic English skills.
This 10-week course includes live lessons & feedback on your academic writing & speaking skills. You will be taught step-by-step how to create a research project from idea stage to the completion of a formal academic dissertation.
This course requires 5-8 hours of study per week and will develop your academic English language, writing skills, and confidence so that you can graduate and begin your future.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Design & carry out your own research project
- Write reports with a high standard of academic English
- Confidently give presentations & use formal academic English in your speaking
- Confidently complete your dissertation to achieve a high-level degree
- Tuesdays & Thursdays: New 1-hour lecture released
- Wednesdays: Reading/ Writing/ Listening Task
- Saturdays: Live Q&A Webinar with Course Director, Niamh
- Daily: Language tasks & discussions in our private online learning group with 24/7 support from your tutor & other university students around the world.
To attend this course, students require an upper-intermediate level of English.
In this course, you will learn:
- The importance & need for research
- Qualitative and Quantitative research methods
- Research methods for different disciplines
- Worldviews in research
- Research strategies
- Ethics in research
- How to create your own surveys
- How to develop your academic writing style
- The structure of an academic research paper
- Critical thinking for research
- Reliability & validity in research
- How to design a study
- Problems that exist in research
- How to efficiently search for reliable sources of information
- How to avoid plagiarism
- How to write a literature review
- How to write an academic introduction in a research paper
- How to write the research methodology in an academic study
- How to write & present the research results
- How to develop the discussion in a research paper
- How to create a conclusion in a research paper
- How to create an academic abstract for a research paper
- How to give a presentation of your research paper
- How research papers are graded
- How to develop your academic English language skills
- How to become an effective communicator
- How to build your confidence in public speaking
- How to present your research
This course is essential for students with questions about writing a dissertation and a lack of confidence in academic English.
Achieving a high-level degree will improve your future opportunities.
I'm a University Lecturer, specialising in academic English, and English for specialist subjects (Science & Engineering) with a Teaching Diploma & a Master's Degree in Science. For over 12 years, I have been designing, coordinating & teaching English & Science courses to international students. I have designed courses for leading English language schools in Cambridge & Oxford, as well as Trinity College, Dublin. (Courses are listed below)
I have now Co-Founded, Hippo Educational Technologies, which creates technology to help English learners improve their academic English to advance their studies & careers. ‘Hippo Campus’ is the name given to our online school.
Join our courses to learn new strategies & techniques that I have specifically designed to help you, as an English learner, to succeed in expanding your academic language and fluency. Whether you need to pass an English exam, get into university, achieve a degree or access your chosen career path, we have the courses that can help you achieve your goals.
I look forward to working with you,
Courses that I have designed include:
- Science Without Borders (English for Science students): Trinity College, Dublin
- Experimental Science
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for Science
- EAP for Engineering
- Critical Thinking for Science/Engineering
- Qualitative & Quantitative Research Methods
- Dissertation Development
- Personal Statement Writing for University
- Communication Skills
Some of the institutions that I have taught in: